Many legends have played the position, but here are my top 5 small forwards in NBA History:
5) Scottie Pippen – Yeah I know that he played with Michael Jordan, so it’s not like everybody was worried about him. But Jordan never won a championship until Pippen joined the Bulls. I think that pretty much says it all. He was also a dynamite one on one defender.
4) James Worthy – Again it’s hard to get much recognition when you are playing with players named Kareem and Magic. But it was James that was the glue to the whole team. Just look back at those classic Lakers-Celtics battles. James put his footprints all over those games.
3) Dominique Wilkins – The human highlight reel was a one of a kind offensive player. He literally played ABOVE the rim. One of the greatest high flyers to ever play the games. He didn’t just take it to the hole. He ran through who ever got in his way.
2) Julius Erving – Who knows where the NBA would be without Dr. J. He’s the reason why Sportscenter was invented. Not only does he have many of the greatest dunks ever caught on tape, he was a force to reckon with.
1) Larry Bird – To say he was a great shooter is kind of like saying the ocean is vast. He had an eagle eye that made him from deadly from any part of the court. He was also the most crafty player out on the court. If there was a way to get a basket, Bird would find a way.